10.08.2009

from pizza to jam

Fig jam happened. Twas a piece of cake.

Although figjamfigjamfigjam was the first thing to run through my mind when I first spotted the figs, I did think twice about this project. Opening the fridge to find the tray of plump fleshy figs was such a beautiful thing that it seemed almost sinful to melt away the fruit. But these were to be my figs experimentation! Pizza figs, fresh figs, jammy figs, figs with cheese, figs with yogurt, and finally, moldy figs.

My recipe was based on a few others, and not really a recipe at all – more of a chopping my figs and throwing them together with things that taste good. I added some cinnamon and regretted it immediately. Cutting the figs in quarters leaves a sizable chunk in the final product. I like that but if you don’t, cut them smaller.

Fig Jam

  • quarter figs, cutting off the stem
  • mix with juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon and a few small slices of rind
  • add sugar to taste and depending on amount of figs, anywhere from 1/4 – 1 cup
  • in a small saucepan, bring to boil over a high heat, reduce heat and let simmer, stirring often, until you have reached a jammy consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment