11.06.2009

To satisfy a craving

One of the really special things about DePiero's farm on sunny weekends is the Pickle-Licious tent parked beside the entrance. Growing up, I'd accompany my parents for our produce pickup. I was always happy to peruse the stuffed animal collection on the store's second floor or hang around the bakery counter until my mom bought me a giant elephant's ear, but I felt an extra surge of glee when I spotted the vendor amidst barrels of pickles. They brought along plates of samples. We rarely bought, but always tasted. I remember stopping with my dad for a taste. I have always been really shy about approaching sample stations, especially when I have no intention of buying the product, but when I was with my dad, we'd settle before the plates and taste each one, every time concluding that our favorites were the bright green.

Growing up we never kept pickles in the house and so they remained a special treat. Sometimes my dad would surprise us with a quart when he picked up the Sunday morning bagels. I'd squeal and have three before even considering a bagel.

Every so often I'm overcome with mad pickle cravings. I buy a jar and devour the whole thing within a day. The master recipe for these quick pickles warns that they're so good you won't be able to keep them in the house for more than a week.


Kosher-style Pickles
2 lbs Kirby cucumbers (about 8)
1 c boiling water
1/3 c kosher salt
1 bunch fresh dill
5-7 garlic cloves, crushed

Halve or quarter the cucumbers. Boil 1 cup of water. Transfer the water to a large bowl. Add the salt, stirring until dissolved. If the mixture needs to be cooled, add a few ice cubes. Add the cucumbers, garlic, and dill to water mixture. Add water until cucumbers are fully submerged. Leave to rest at room temperature. Taste the cucumbers after 4 hours if quartered or 8 if halved. Add enough water to allow the cucumbers to be fully submerged. If necessary, rest a plate with a weight on top to keep them down. Let rest anywhere from 4-48 hours until the cucumbers have reached desired amount of pickliness.

Refrigerate and store in their brine.

*Because there is no vinegar in this recipe, the pickles will not last more than two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment